About the author
Suspension Stories is a youth-led participatory action research project to understand the school to prison pipeline. This initiative is the result of a collaboration between the Rogers Park Young Women's Action Team (www.rogersparkywat.org) and Project NIA (www.project-nia.org).
- Video: “What We Carry On Our Backs: The School To Prison Pipeline”
- “Charter schools’ discipline policy under fire”
- “The the number of serious incidents of misbehavior plummeted 60 percent…”
- Freedom Summer Youth Congress Addressing Youth Criminalization & More This Summer
- Kiera Wilmot, the Honor Student Who Was Arrested For a Botched Science Experiment, Tells Her Story
- JJIE: “Life after Juvenile Detention”
- “Are School Closings the ‘New Jim Crow’? Activists File Civil Rights Complaints.”
- Communities Around The Country Gear Up For National Week of Action Against Incarcerating Youth!
- Forget the ‘Rolling Stone’ Debacle: At UVA, 38 Reports of Sexual Violence, 0 Expulsions Last Year February 27, 2015The details will seem all too familiar: A woman at the University of Virginia says she was raped at a fraternity. The report appeared in a now-defunct weekly newspaper, The Hook, published in Charlottesville, Virginia, where UVA is located. Seemingly lost in the media firestorm surrounding Rolling Stone's now discredited article depicting a 2012 gang ra […]
- Adil Charkaoui incensed by CEGEPs suspending Arabic school contracts February 27, 2015Adil Charkaoui, a Moroccan-born Montrealer who years ago successfully challenged being held on a security certificate, says the suspension of his Arabic school's contracts with two Montreal CEGEPs is prejudiced and ridiculous. "We categorically reject this suspension and the École des compagnons reserves the right to sue the two educational institu […]
- Sickening details of abuse at prestigious Sydney school February 26, 2015A Royal Commission has heard sickening details of abuse at a prestigious all boys private school in Sydney.
- Sickening details of abuse at prestiginous Sydney school February 26, 2015A Royal Commission has heard sickening details of abuse at a prestigious all boys private school in Sydney.
- Knox sex abuser 'expected to be sacked' February 25, 2015A child sex abuser was only suspended for six months when he admitted showing porn to students at Knox Grammar in the 1980's, 20 years before his arrest.
- Sex abuse teacher delayed suspension February 25, 2015A teacher at an elite Sydney school convicted of sex abuse in 2010 showed porn to boys twenty years earlier, an inquiry has heard.
- Schools' reliance on suspension, expulsion isn't necessary, report finds February 24, 2015All three are among the school districts showing the biggest rates of improvement regarding their school discipline practices. A new report analyzing federal data on out-of-school suspensions found evidence of huge “discipline gaps” when it comes to suspension rates for minorities and students with disabilities. “There were more lower-suspending schools than […]
- Strip-searched girl suspended by Quebec City school February 19, 2015A Quebec City school board says that the 15-year-old girl who was strip-searched by her female high school principal and another female staff member has been suspended and transferred to another school. The De la Capitale School Board, which released the statement, did not explain the exact reason for her suspension. In the strip search, the girl was asked t […]
- 4 workers disciplined after school shooter's prison escape February 11, 2015COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Four prison workers have been disciplined over the escape last year of a convicted school shooter and two other inmates, the state announced Wednesday, citing the failure to fix a broken security camera and the wrong kind of lock put on a maintenance area door, among other lapses.
- Coach clipping wrestler's long hair leads to investigation January 30, 2015HILO, Hawaii (AP) — A friendly bet between a high school coach and a wrestler has led to a suspension and a police investigation in Hawaii.
- Forget the ‘Rolling Stone’ Debacle: At UVA, 38 Reports of Sexual Violence, 0 Expulsions Last Year February 27, 2015