About the author
Suspension Stories is a youth-led participatory action research project to understand the school to prison pipeline. This initiative is the result of a collaboration between the Rogers Park Young Women's Action Team (www.rogersparkywat.org) and Project NIA (www.project-nia.org).
- Jesse Williams of “Grey’s Anatomy” Talks School Pushout On Arsenio Hall: “America as a whole needs to make some changes”
- “CPS Students Want State Lawmakers To Fix ‘Broken’ School Discipline Policies”
- “Does Putting Children In Jail Solve Anything?”
- Dramatic Transformation of A School In Inner City Denver After Restorative Justice Implemented
- “A Fascinating Way to Put a Stop to the School-to-Prison Pipeline for Black Children”
- Alternatives to Calling Police on Young People – Amazing Popular Education Project, “Chain Reaction”
- “Campaign for Restorative Justice Gains Ground in Santa Ana”
- “Youth Incarceration Is Down But Not For Youth Of Color”
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom April 18, 2014YORK, Pa. (AP) — A Pennsylvania high school student is in hot water for asking Miss America to prom during a question and answer session at school.
- Professor: 'Game of Thrones' pic got me suspended April 18, 2014PARAMUS, N.J. (AP) — A New Jersey professor claims he was suspended over an online photo containing a quote from "Game of Thrones" that he says a school official perceived as a threat.
- When is a tool a weapon? Chicago court throws out teacher discipline case April 18, 2014A veteran teacher at a Chicago elementary school has lost his bid to reverse a four-day suspension without pay because he showed an array of hand tools to his second grade students as part of a math lesson. Douglas Bartlett displayed pliers, screwdrivers, wrenches, a pocket knife, and a box cutter in his classroom as part of the lesson. Mr. Bartlett, who has […]
- MORON: School employee feared kid’s science project resembled weapon, so star teacher suspended April 10, 2014A beloved science teacher at a public high school in downtown Los Angeles has been suspended because a school employee was afraid that a kid’s air pressure-related science project looked too much like a weapon. The teacher, Greg Schiller, was suspended (with pay) back in February. He teaches – or taught – at the brutally futuristic-looking $232 million Corti […]
- Teacher claims she was suspended from job because she’s transgender [UPDATED] April 9, 2014“I have always conducted myself in a professional manner and would never discuss my gender identity in school.”
- 7th grader’s pencil twirling leads to suspension and psychological evaluation when called ‘gun motions’ [UPDATED] April 7, 2014Glen Meadow Middle School seventh grader, Ethan Chaplin, was recently suspended after, he says, he was simply twirling a pencil in math class.
- Teacher says she was forced to resign after taking student to ER and paying for medical bills March 28, 2014The school board maintains they never forced her to quit.
- Racial gap in discipline found in preschool, US data show March 21, 2014In public preschools, black children make up 48 percent of students suspended more than once, but only 18 percent of total enrollment. For the first time, the US Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights included preschool discipline in its annual data collection, which it released Friday morning with data from all public school districts in 2011-12. […]
- Black preschoolers more likely to face suspension March 21, 2014WASHINGTON (AP) — Black students are more likely to be suspended from U.S. public schools — even as tiny preschoolers.
- Thousands of preschool kids face suspension March 21, 2014WASHINGTON (AP) — Even preschoolers are getting suspended from U.S. public schools — and they're disproportionately black, a trend that continues up through the later grades.
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom April 18, 2014