About the author
Suspension Stories is a youth-led participatory action research project to understand the school to prison pipeline. This initiative is the result of a collaboration between the Rogers Park Young Women's Action Team (www.rogersparkywat.org) and Project NIA (www.project-nia.org).
- Video: “What We Carry On Our Backs: The School To Prison Pipeline”
- “Charter schools’ discipline policy under fire”
- “The the number of serious incidents of misbehavior plummeted 60 percent…”
- Freedom Summer Youth Congress Addressing Youth Criminalization & More This Summer
- Kiera Wilmot, the Honor Student Who Was Arrested For a Botched Science Experiment, Tells Her Story
- JJIE: “Life after Juvenile Detention”
- “Are School Closings the ‘New Jim Crow’? Activists File Civil Rights Complaints.”
- Communities Around The Country Gear Up For National Week of Action Against Incarcerating Youth!
- California study: Truancy data shows racial divide September 12, 2014SAN DIEGO (AP) — Black elementary schoolchildren in California were chronically truant and faced suspension from school at disproportionately high rates compared to other students last year, according to a study Friday that follows similar research from the U.S. Education Department.
- Teacher in UAQ suspended for beating up pupil September 12, 2014The Umm Al Quwain Education Zone has ordered the suspension of an arts teacher of the Hatem Al Taee Primary and Secondary School here for beating up a Grade 6 pupil.
- Dress-code flap: Does embarrassing students with 'shame suit' violate their rights? September 5, 2014A mother says her daughter was forced to wear a “shame suit” for violating the dress code at her Florida high school, and she’s thinking about filing a formal complaint with federal education officials. Miranda Larkin was new to the area and just a few days into the semester at Oakleaf High School in Clay County, Fla., when she wore a skirt that the school n […]
- Alex Stone arrested after U.S. teen wrote about shooting pet dinosaur September 5, 2014Alex Stone's school year is off to a rough start. The South Carolina teen was arrested on his second day of school on Aug. 16 after writing in an assignment about shooting his neighbour's pet dinosaur with a gun he bought to "take care of business." The 16-year-old was charged with disorderly conduct and suspended for several days in the […]
- A Teen Violated Her School Dress Code. You Won’t Believe What Happened Next. September 5, 2014The first week of school went horribly wrong for one Florida teen this week when she wore a skirt that didn’t meet the standards of the high school’s dress code. As punishment for wearing a skirt that fell more than three inches above her knee, 15-year-old Miranda Larkin was forced to change into bright red sweatpants and a yellow shirt emblazoned with the […]
- Charge: Female High School Basketball Coaches Banged Underage Students For Years September 2, 2014Since 2006, at least two female employees at Moore Catholic High School in the New York City borough of Staten Island have been accused of having sex with underage students. In addition, the athletic director and chief operating officer at the 450-student school — founded by nuns in 1962 — faces a civil complaint for attempting to seduce, failing to seduce a […]
- Tennessee Student Kicked Out Of Class For Saying "Bless You" August 27, 2014DYERSBURG, Tenn., Aug. 27, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Today, Liberty Institute, on behalf of Dyer County High School student Kendra Turner, sent a demand letter to school officials for unlawfully punishing the high school senior for blessing another student who sneezed. The letter seeks an apology from school officials who banned students from saying, […]
- Los Angeles schools official suspends iPad rollout: L.A. Times August 26, 2014(Reuters) - The Los Angeles schools superintendent has suspended a contract with Apple Inc to provide an iPad to each of its students as the $1 billion initiative faces problems and growing scrutiny, the Los Angeles Times newspaper reported. Monday's suspension is the latest setback for the Los Angeles Unified School District's proposed technology […]
- High School Student Gets In-School Suspension for Saying 'Bless You' August 21, 2014Though it might be a common response, one Tennessee high school student claims that her "Bless you" got her sent to in-school suspension. Kendra Turner, 17, took to her Facebook page to describe the scenario at Dyer County High School, posting:
- High school senior says she was suspended for saying 'bless you' August 21, 2014A high school senior in Tennessee says she was given an in-school suspension for saying "bless you" to classmate who had sneezed.
- California study: Truancy data shows racial divide September 12, 2014