About the author
Suspension Stories is a youth-led participatory action research project to understand the school to prison pipeline. This initiative is the result of a collaboration between the Rogers Park Young Women's Action Team (www.rogersparkywat.org) and Project NIA (www.project-nia.org).
- Video: “What We Carry On Our Backs: The School To Prison Pipeline”
- “Charter schools’ discipline policy under fire”
- “The the number of serious incidents of misbehavior plummeted 60 percent…”
- Freedom Summer Youth Congress Addressing Youth Criminalization & More This Summer
- Kiera Wilmot, the Honor Student Who Was Arrested For a Botched Science Experiment, Tells Her Story
- JJIE: “Life after Juvenile Detention”
- “Are School Closings the ‘New Jim Crow’? Activists File Civil Rights Complaints.”
- Communities Around The Country Gear Up For National Week of Action Against Incarcerating Youth!
- Arrested US judge embarrassed, entering treatment August 20, 2014BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) — An Alabama federal judge charged with domestic violence following his arrest in Atlanta is embarrassed and entering a treatment program, one of his attorneys said Wednesday.
- Obama dispatches Eric Holder to Ferguson in wake of shooting August 19, 2014The attorney general will travel to Missouri this week making him the first top-level U.S. official to visit
- A-Rod cousin, clinic owner arrested by feds August 5, 2014MIAMI (AP) — A onetime clinic owner accused of providing performance-enhancing drugs to several Major League Baseball players and a cousin of Alex Rodriguez who injected the star with steroids have been charged in what prosecutors called a drug conspiracy, authorities said Tuesday.
- State Health Laws Set Rules For Pennsylvania Fall Sports Coaches And Student-Athletes August 4, 2014HARRISBURG, Pa., Aug. 4, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The start of a new school year in the Keystone State typically means a new Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association (PIAA) fall sports season is here. To help ease some of these concerns, Pennsylvania state law - strongly supported by Pennsylvania physicians - requires all high school coaches […]
- Visayas Newsbits for August 2, 2014 August 1, 2014LANDSLIDE OCCURS NEAR SCHOOLNaga City, Cebu — A 1.3-hectare landslide occurred just about 30 meters away from Don Emelio Canonigo Memorial National High School in Barangay Pangdan, Naga City on Thursday, prompting the Mines and Geosciences Bureau (MGB) to recommend the suspension of classes pending an inspection and finding that the area is an active landsli […]
- Dead lizard in Bihar mid-day meal, 50 students ill August 1, 2014Patna, Aug 1 (IANS) Fifty students of a government primary school fell ill in Bihar Friday after eating their mid-day meal in which a dead lizard was found, an official said. After villagers protested, the district administration has ordered the suspension of two officials concerned, including the school headmaster. "An FIR has been lodged against both […]
- Shelling of Gaza school kills at least 15; toll nears 800 July 25, 2014* Women, children, U.N. staff killed - Ban Ki-moon * Israel says it is investigating the school deaths * America, European flights expected back in Tel Aviv * Hamas sticks to demand embargo on enclave be lifted * One killed in West Bank march is support of Gaza By Nidal al-Mughrabi and Ori Lewis GAZA/JERUSALEM, July 25 (Reuters) - Gazan authorities said Isra […]
- At least 15 killed by shelling of Gaza school; toll exceeds 760 July 24, 2014United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon expressed his horror at the attack on the school at Beit Hanoun in the northern Gaza strip. I strongly condemn this act." Ban later arrived to Cairo where he was expected to meet U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry, who has been working the telephones to try to broker an elusive truce. Israel Defense Forces (I […]
- Montana Judge Suspended Over Rape Comments July 22, 2014A Montana judge has been suspended by the state's Supreme Court for controversial comments he made about a 14-year-old rape victim. District Judge Todd Baugh sparked outrage last year when he ordered a former high school teacher to serve just 30 days of a 15-year sentence for raping a teenager in 2007. At sentencing, Baugh also appeared to pin blame on […]
- K to 12 suspension sought amid school woes July 22, 2014Sen. Antonio “Sonny’’ F. Trillanes IV said yesterday the K to 12 program should be suspended until the government has resolved the current fundamental problems of the country’s education system as well as the projected problems it would encounter at the start of its scheduled full implementation in 2016. These fundamental problems in the country’s education […]
- Arrested US judge embarrassed, entering treatment August 20, 2014