About the author
Suspension Stories is a youth-led participatory action research project to understand the school to prison pipeline. This initiative is the result of a collaboration between the Rogers Park Young Women's Action Team (www.rogersparkywat.org) and Project NIA (www.project-nia.org).
- Video: Why Zero Tolerance is 100% Unequal?
- Jesse Williams of “Grey’s Anatomy” Talks School Pushout On Arsenio Hall: “America as a whole needs to make some changes”
- “CPS Students Want State Lawmakers To Fix ‘Broken’ School Discipline Policies”
- “Does Putting Children In Jail Solve Anything?”
- Dramatic Transformation of A School In Inner City Denver After Restorative Justice Implemented
- “A Fascinating Way to Put a Stop to the School-to-Prison Pipeline for Black Children”
- Alternatives to Calling Police on Young People – Amazing Popular Education Project, “Chain Reaction”
- “Campaign for Restorative Justice Gains Ground in Santa Ana”
- Miss America: Rethink suspension over prom query April 20, 2014YORK, Pa. (AP) — Miss America is asking a Pennsylvania school district to reconsider the punishment of a high school senior who asked her to prom during the question-and-answer portion of an assembly.
- Miss America defends student suspended for asking her to prom April 19, 2014By Chris Francescani NEW YORK (Reuters) - Miss America has suggested officials at a Pennsylvania high school reconsider their decision to suspend a student for approaching her at a school assembly and asking her to be his prom date, the beauty queen said on Saturday. The disciplinary action taken by school administrators in York against the 18-year-old senio […]
- Teen Punished For Asking Miss America To Prom April 19, 2014A Pennsylvania high school student has been suspended for asking reigning Miss America Nina Davuluri to a prom during her visit to the school. Ms Davuluri was taking part in a question and answer session at Central York High School when 18-year-old Patrick Farves asked the beauty queen to be his date to the school's upcoming formal dance. Mr Farves told […]
- TOTALLY WORTH IT: High school senior suspended for asking Miss America to prom April 19, 2014If Miss America visits your high school, and if it’s springtime, and if you don’t have a date to the senior prom, you’ve got to ask her to go with you. Such was the case for Patrick Farves, a senior at Central York High School, when the reigning Miss America, Nina Davuluri, came to the York, Pa. school on Thursday to give a speech about diversity and the val […]
- US teen suspended for asking Miss America Nina Davuluri to prom April 19, 2014Washington, April 19 (IANS) A Pennsylvania teenager has been suspended for asking the first ever Indian-American Miss America Nina Davuluri to the prom, the annual end of the year dance for high school students. Patrick Farves, 18, also handed Davuluri a plastic flower after he asked her to the prom Thursday. The Central York High School senior was given a t […]
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom April 18, 2014YORK, Pa. (AP) — A Pennsylvania high school student is in hot water for asking Miss America to prom during a question and answer session at school.
- Professor: 'Game of Thrones' pic got me suspended April 18, 2014PARAMUS, N.J. (AP) — A New Jersey professor claims he was suspended over an online photo containing a quote from "Game of Thrones" that he says a school official perceived as a threat.
- When is a tool a weapon? Chicago court throws out teacher discipline case April 18, 2014A veteran teacher at a Chicago elementary school has lost his bid to reverse a four-day suspension without pay because he showed an array of hand tools to his second grade students as part of a math lesson. Douglas Bartlett displayed pliers, screwdrivers, wrenches, a pocket knife, and a box cutter in his classroom as part of the lesson. Mr. Bartlett, who has […]
- 7th grader’s pencil twirling leads to suspension and psychological evaluation when called ‘gun motions’ [UPDATED] April 7, 2014Glen Meadow Middle School seventh grader, Ethan Chaplin, was recently suspended after, he says, he was simply twirling a pencil in math class.
- Racial gap in discipline found in preschool, US data show March 21, 2014In public preschools, black children make up 48 percent of students suspended more than once, but only 18 percent of total enrollment. For the first time, the US Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights included preschool discipline in its annual data collection, which it released Friday morning with data from all public school districts in 2011-12. […]
- Miss America: Rethink suspension over prom query April 20, 2014