About the author
Suspension Stories is a youth-led participatory action research project to understand the school to prison pipeline. This initiative is the result of a collaboration between the Rogers Park Young Women's Action Team (www.rogersparkywat.org) and Project NIA (www.project-nia.org).
- Video: “What We Carry On Our Backs: The School To Prison Pipeline”
- “Charter schools’ discipline policy under fire”
- “The the number of serious incidents of misbehavior plummeted 60 percent…”
- Freedom Summer Youth Congress Addressing Youth Criminalization & More This Summer
- Kiera Wilmot, the Honor Student Who Was Arrested For a Botched Science Experiment, Tells Her Story
- JJIE: “Life after Juvenile Detention”
- “Are School Closings the ‘New Jim Crow’? Activists File Civil Rights Complaints.”
- Communities Around The Country Gear Up For National Week of Action Against Incarcerating Youth!
- Hazing complaint at Dalhousie leads to men's rugby club suspension September 29, 2014Dalhousie University in Halifax has suspended its men's rugby club after a hazing complaint prompted an investigation, according to a statement posted on the school's website. The university said it received a complaint from an employee regarding activities by the Dalhousie Tigers Men's Rugby Club. The combination of the two incidents led scho […]
- Teacher Daniel Ogloff suspended for slapping 'I'm gay' sticker on student September 25, 2014- UPDATE | Suspended B.C. teacher is teaching in Alberta A Langley, B.C., teacher, who was suspended for writing "I'm gay" on a piece of masking tape and sticking it on the back of a student's jacket last year received a second suspension this month. Daniel Mark Ogloff, a metalwork teacher at Aldergrove Community Secondary School, was fi […]
- Officer takes down armed Ohio student September 23, 2014AKRON, Ohio (AP) — Police say an officer subdued a 15-year-old Ohio high school student who came to school armed with a loaded semi-automatic pistol.
- LGUs cancel classes amid heavy rains September 18, 2014Cebu City, Cebu — Heavy rains in Metro Cebu since Wednesday night have pushed the city governments of Cebu, Mandaue and Lapu-Lapu to order the suspension of classes yesterday. The continuous heavy downpour here has submerged parts of Metro Cebu in flood waters. CLASSES CANCELLED — Talamban National High-School students in Talamban, Cebu City wait for a jeepn […]
- Canadian student suspended for selling bootleg soda September 16, 2014Ottawa (AFP) - Reaction to a Canadian student's suspension for selling bootleg soda pop out of his high school locker called into question on Tuesday efforts by activists to get kids eating better.
- Suspension of Lethbridge student selling Pepsi defended by school board September 15, 2014School board administrators in Lethbridge, Alta., are defending their suspension policies after a Grade 12 student refused to stop selling Pepsi out of his locker. Keenan Shaw was suspended for two days by Winston Churchill High School. Cheryl Gilmore, superintendent of the Lethbridge public school board, said Monday she can't speak about the student […]
- California study: Truancy data shows racial divide September 12, 2014SAN DIEGO (AP) — Black elementary schoolchildren in California were chronically truant and faced suspension from school at disproportionately high rates compared to other students last year, according to a study Friday that follows similar research from the U.S. Education Department.
- Dress-code flap: Does embarrassing students with 'shame suit' violate their rights? September 5, 2014A mother says her daughter was forced to wear a “shame suit” for violating the dress code at her Florida high school, and she’s thinking about filing a formal complaint with federal education officials. Miranda Larkin was new to the area and just a few days into the semester at Oakleaf High School in Clay County, Fla., when she wore a skirt that the school n […]
- A Teen Violated Her School Dress Code. You Won’t Believe What Happened Next. September 5, 2014The first week of school went horribly wrong for one Florida teen this week when she wore a skirt that didn’t meet the standards of the high school’s dress code. As punishment for wearing a skirt that fell more than three inches above her knee, 15-year-old Miranda Larkin was forced to change into bright red sweatpants and a yellow shirt emblazoned with the […]
- Student forced to wear 'shame suit' for dress code violation September 5, 2014A Florida mother is outraged that her 15-year-old daughter was forced to wear what she called a “shame suit” at school.
- Hazing complaint at Dalhousie leads to men's rugby club suspension September 29, 2014