“A new video from the Advancement Project highlights exactly the sorts of student infractions—talking out of turn or failing to keep to the dress code—which used to be dealt with with a stern talking-to or at worst, detention but which these days can mean suspension, expulsion or even arrest for far too many students. As the video points out, even one out-of-school suspension doubles a student’s chances of dropping out of school.”
About the author
Suspension Stories is a youth-led participatory action research project to understand the school to prison pipeline. This initiative is the result of a collaboration between the Rogers Park Young Women's Action Team (www.rogersparkywat.org) and Project NIA (www.project-nia.org).
- Lessons of the School to Prison Pipeline, from Saved Like the Bell & Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
- Gone Too Far: Our Kids in Handcuffs
- September 28-October 5: National Week of Action Against School Pushout
- Infographic: How High-Stakes Testing Feeds the School-to-Prison Pipeline
- Infographic: School to Prison Pipeline
- Harsh Disciplinary Policies in Action: This Week’s Edition
- Teaching Peacemaking Circles to Elementary School Students….
- 20/20 School-to-Prison Pipeline Report